The Centre for Common Law has five main aims:
1. To build on existing research into common law by Chinese academics and to strengthen collaboration between Chinese and British legal scholars.
2. To promote the study of common law by Chinese academics, students, lawyers and judges and to increase their interest in common law systems.
3. To increase the circulation of information related to common law in China, to establish a common law resources centre, and to support lawyers and other legal practitioners in their professional development.
4. To promote further exchanges and dialogues between legal practitioners from China, the UK and other common law jurisdictions on the subject of the rule of law and related issues.
5. To enhance and develop mutually beneficial partnerships between the Centre for Common Law and other top universities in China and the UK.